My most important digital pledge would be ...

I believe that copyright laws should be reformed to reflect needs of citizens in the Internet age

152 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tom WatsonAdminTom Watson (Admin, Digital Pledges) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Benjamin EllisBenjamin Ellis commented  · 

Would be good to see a prohibition on software patents, but I assume this would have to be at a European level.

• Dave LevyDave Levy commented  · 

Possibly my No. 1 as well. We need a rock solid consumer Fair Use rights, maybe everyone should get a non-commercial, derivatives allowed right to use digital content, may be it needs to be put in the context of a "first sale" doctrine, but copyright periods should be drastically reduced, there needs to be a duty of maintenance, and copyright holders should not be allowed to sell the right pursue those in breach of what remains.

• Tom WatsonAdminTom Watson (Admin, Digital Pledges) commented  · 

Thanks all. I want to move to a fair use style reform but think a general statement makes the point. Will think how I can include these points. A friend also reminded me that software patents should also be included in the statement. I'll make sure I refine it.

• cyberdoylecyberdoyle commented  · 

Essential pledge, the current copyright laws are out of date, and the seriously flawed digital economy bill serves to prop up the obsolete business model of the music industry et al.
        It is time for an update and reboot. Great pledge, it gets my vote. Wish I lived in your constituency and you would get my vote in the election too, as it is I can't vote labour because my mp couldn't even be bothered turning up to debate it. She still gets her emails on dead trees. None of the staff in her office knew anything about it either.

• tomatosquidtomatosquid commented  · 

One of the best ways to do this might be to enshrine some general rights/principles in law (e.g., extending principles of fair use, freedom of speech etc).

• Dave ColeDave Cole commented  · 

Reformed, certainly, but how? I recognise that identification of the problem is a start, but don't feel you've presented a policy, unless you're suggesting a debate or something like a royal commission.

Feedback and Knowledge Base